Home Invasion Crime Statistics That Will Keep You Up at Night
More often than not, this blog focuses on FCRA compliant background checks and employee screening services designed to protect businesses from hiring the wrong people. But we’re only at work for part of our lives, and staying safe is a 24/7 job.
It’s encouraging to note that instances of violent crime and property crime across the United States have been steadily trending down for well over a decade now. Of course, that doesn’t mean crime is becoming rare. In fact, nearly 1 out of every 100 U.S. citizens over the age of 12 will become victims of crime at some point in their lives.
No, it’s not pleasant to think about the possibility of becoming victim to a violent crime. But hiding your head in the sand isn’t going to help you or your loved ones either.
Below are updated statistics provided by U.S. government agencies for the period ending in 2016.
Property Crime Facts
- One property crime happens every 4 seconds.
- One burglary occurs every 20 seconds.
- One violent crime occurs every 25 seconds.
- One aggravated assault occurs every 45 seconds.
- One robbery occurs every 90 seconds.
- One rape or attempted rape occurs every 5 minutes.
Home Invasion Crime Statistics and Facts:
- According to a United States Department of Justice report:
- 38% of assaults & 60% of rapes occur during home invasions.
- Over 2,000,000 homes will experience a break-in or burglary this year.
- There are over 4,500 home burglaries per day in the United States.
- The average number of home invasions per year was 1,030,000 between 1994 and 2010.
Whether it is workplace violence, home invasions, car jacking, armed robbery, rape, identity theft or any of a number of other crimes, YOU need to take control and arm yourself with the best available preventive measures.
Don’t become just another statistic
One of these precautionary options is to make yourself aware of who you are dealing with through criminal background investigations, especially when inviting unknown people to do work in your home.. Perform individual comprehensive background checks on the contractor and crew that you have hired to renovate your house, the plumber, your nanny, your new neighbor. You get the idea: if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t, so it pays to know who and what you are dealing with. A search of national criminal records search only takes a few days and costs very little, but the potential returns are priceless. Arm yourself with information and don’t allow yourself to be blind-sided.
Or you may just become another statistic.
Background screening companies like NationSearch can help you with all of the background screening services you need, including pre-employment background checks for people you hire to help with home improvement projects, child care, home health care, or any other purpose.
Contact NationSearch today to discuss your options, and download our handy list of frequently asked questions to become more familiar with the background screening process.